Reusable Sidestream Nebulizer Features
- Optimal patient care with minimal administrative effort
- Efficient Drug Delivery: Highly efficient, 80% of drug output volume is below 5 microns in size
- This nebulizer offers consistent fast, efficient and economical drug delivery, time after time
- Keeps the driving air and liquid drug separate
- Combined with the use of durable materials, enables reproducibility in performance and minimizes the potential of wear and blockage
- Low residual volume
- Easy to use and clean, dishwasher safe (top rack)
- Latex free
- Reusable Nebulizer can be used for 6 months before replacing
Sidestream Nebulizer Parts
Respironics Sidestream Technology
- Sidestream active venturi system provides additional flow to the patient of up to 16 lpm above compressor output, resulting in faster treatment time
- Innovative diamond jet design produces consistently high quality aerosol
What to buy with Nebulizer Machine
How to use Sidestream Reusable Nebulizer?
Wash your hands before handling medication or the nebulizer.
1. Connect one end of the tubing to the compressor air outlet
2. Attach the other end of the tubing into the bottom of the medicine cup
3. Unscrew the top from the medicine cup
4. Pour the prescribed medication into the medicine cup, 2-10ml fill.
5. Screw the top back onto the medicine cup and connect the mouthpiece/mask.
Note - Do not lay the SideStream down on its side, because the medication will spill out. It is recommended to replace SideStream every 6 months.
Taking treatment using Sidestream
- To take the treatment, sit in an upright position and relax
- Switch on the compressor, supply flow to be 6-8l/min. Make sure mist is visibly coming from the mouthpiece/mask.
- Take the mouthpiece between your teeth, surround it with your lips and breathe in and out slowly through your mouth or place the mask in position over nose and mouth and breath slowly in and out through your mouth.
When the SideStream begins to work intermittently and ‘sputters’, then the treatment is finished. There is no need to nebulize every drop of your medication, there will always be a small amount left in the medicine cup.
How to clean Sidestream Nebulizer Kit?
- After every use -
- Disconnect the SideStream from the tubing. Unscrew the top from the medicine cup, rinse out the nebulizer and refill with clean water.
- Reassemble top and medicine cup, reconnect the tubing and run SideStream again for a few seconds to flush out any drug trapped in the nebulizer jets.
- Take apart the nebulizer
- Disconnect tubing from the medicine cup.
- Wash all items (except tubing) in either hot soapy water or contained within a basket on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Rinse all parts in clean water for 2 minutes.
- Shake off excess water and allow to air dry. Do not towel dry.
- Reassemble and store the SideStream in a clean place when not in use
- Once a week -
- Disassemble the nebulizer
- Boil the SideStream (except tubing) in water with 2–3 drops of dishwashing liquid for 10 minutes
- Rinse all parts in clean water for 2 minutes
- Shake off excess water and allow to air dry. Do not towel dry
- Reassemble and store SideStream in a clean place when not in use
Note - It is recommended to boil your reusable SideStream (except for tubing) in water (minimum 212° F) with 2–3 drops of dishwashing liquid for 10 minutes. This ensures maximum performance.
- Clogged jets or improper assembly may prevent proper delivery of medication
- To reduce the risk of infection, clean and disinfect the nebulizer between treatments
- Do not try to remove the red jet from the medicine cup. This is permanently attached
- Do not towel dry the unit and never use a cleaning brush or put sharp objects into the jet holes or baffles as this will damage the nebulizer
- Sidestream reusable is not suitable for use in a ventilator circuit
- Do not remove the top when connected to the gas supply
- Use of 22mm male connectors may reduce the output rate
Respironics Sidestream Reusable Nebulizer User Manual
Respironics Reusable Sidestream Nebulizer Kit FAQ
Can Respironics Sidestream nebulizers be reused?
Yes, reusable nebulizers can be used several times once they are cleaned and disinfected thoroughly to avoid any bacteria that cause lung infections.
How often should you change your Sidestream Reusable Nebulizer kit?
All nebulizer sets should be changed every six months.
Will Respironics nebulizer work without a filter?
No, the nebulizer will not work without the filter because normal air particles and contaminants may ruin the compressor if it is used without a clean air filter.
How many nebulizer treatments can I do in a day?
The nebulizer solution is used up to three to four times a day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and if there is anything you don't understand, ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain it to you.
Can I get a replacement baffle or separate pieces for my Sidestream nebulizer?
No, only complete nebulizers can be purchased if parts are lost or damaged.
Why is the medication bubbling but no mist/aerosol coming out?
It sounds like you have assembled without the baffle (mushroom-shaped piece that goes in the middle). You need to make sure this is in place otherwise it will not work.
Why is there some drug left at the bottom?
There will always be some left that cannot be nebulized into an aerosol (about 1ml) - do not worry, this is normal. Just throw it away and wash it out thoroughly.
What is the reason that no mist is coming out of my nebulizer?
Make sure the tubing pieces and medicine chamber are all firmly connected. If there is any loose connection then the nebulizer will not work properly. Check for any blockages that may prevent mist from forming.