Nasogastric (NG) feeding tubes are flexible tubes built with rubber or polyurethane plastic which is passed through the nose, down through the esophagus, and into the stomach. These nasogastric tubes are used to delivery liquid food directly to the stomach via the esophagus.
Why Does One Need Nasogastric Tubes?
NG tubes are used for four different purposes:
- Delivering foods or medication directly to the stomach
- Removing liquid or air from the stomach
- Removing waste from the bowels for cleaning the bowels
- Adding liquid to the bowels for X-rays or PET scan
Things to Remember When Using Nasogastric Feeding Tubes
Whenever one uses nasogastric feeding tubes at home there are a few things one has to take into consideration:
- Insert the tubes gently so that you do not damage the airway, the esophagus, or the lining of the stomach
- Ensure that the tube is intact and there are no cracks or holes, or the food can enter other canals of the body internally
- Immediately stop feeding if the user faces an aspiration (food being regurgitated into the lungs)
- Always consult your medical professional before choosing a NG tube or changing the food
Caring for the Nasogastric Feeding Tube and Skin
Taking care of the NG feeding tube involves cleaning the tube so that there are no contaminants left in the tube. Dirt, microbes, or other contaminants in the tube can damage the nasogastric tube as well as cause problems for the digestive system.
Cleaning the skin around the nose after using the NG feeding tubes helps in reducing irritation and rashes. Use a clean washcloth and a mild bathing soap to clean the skin around the nose after removing the tape or bandage. Also wash off the adhesive residue left by the tape or bandage.
Features of Nasogastric Feeding Tubes
There are a wide range of features of nasogastric feeding tubes to enhance enteral feeding experience. They are:
- Pediatric options for easy enteral feeding for children
- Comes in 8FR, 10FR, and 12FR options
- Available in Anti-IV and Enfit connectors for safety & security
- Sterile and non-sterile options
Where to Buy Nasogastric Feeding Tubes Online?
At HPFY, we have a great range of nasogastric feeding tubes online that help in efficient enteral feeding for individuals of all ages. Choose from different types of NG feeding tubes at affordable prices and great discounts.