- Jamar Measuring Device provides English and metric measurements in 1/2" and 1 centimeter marks respectively
- Sturdy metal bar is 18"L x 3/4"W x 3/4"H (46cm x 2cm x 2cm)
- Indications for Using Jamar Measuring Device
- For evaluating length of functional reach
- For functional reach training
- Can also be used for measuring range-of motion distance during wall stretches and wall walking
Also Buy (Separately)
Baseline Posture Evaluators
Instructions for Use:
Functional reach can be measured while the patient sits or stands. These instructions are for a patient who is standing; they can be modified easily for a patient who is sitting.
- Attach door attachment end of the device to door at level of patients shoulder. To open door attachment, hold attachment firmly while turning bar counterclockwise. Tighten on the door by turning bar clockwise.
- Close and lock the door. Extend bar and hold in position by putting pin through door attachment and bar.
- Turn bar slightly as needed to bring appropriate units of measure to side of bar along which patient will reach.
- Line up glide with starting line (or note initial position of glide).
- The patient should stand in normal position with arm to be tested outstretched at a 90Â° angle to the body. To provide clearance, the device should be along the outside of the arm (A).
- With hand fisted, third metacarpal should be placed against glide.
- Instruct patient to reach forward as far as possible without taking a step.
- Record ending position of glide.
- Patient may perform two practice trials before taking actual measurement of reach. In addition, test can be repeated three times.
- If desired, device can be collapsed following use by removing pin and lowering bar.
- Use for a test while the patient stands only with patients who can stand for at least 30 seconds, in flat shoes or bare feet and without assistance or support.
- Stability of bar should be tested after attaching the unit to the door and making adjustments as well as before each use.
- Patient should be monitored for safety during the test.
- Door should be firmly closed and locked during use of the device.
- Device should not be used by the patient as support. Care and cleaning Bar and glide can be cleaned with a hard-surface disinfectant and wiped dry.
Care and cleaning:
- Bar and glide can be cleaned with a hard-surface disinfectant and wiped dry.