Features of Battery Operated Adaptive Scissors
- Comfortable grip:
- Our adaptive scissors feature a grip designed for maximum user comfort throughout the cutting process
- Added safety:
- A plastic safety guard protects the sharp blades for increased security
- Easy operation:
- The scissors cut continuously as long as the switch is activated. They automatically stop once the user disengages the switch
- Effortless cleaning:
- These scissors wipe clean easily with a soft cloth and nonabrasive cleanser
- Suction-style base:
- We’ve added suction cups to the base for increased stability and ease of use
- Dual configurations:
- You can use the scissors with the base attached and the help of an aide or without the base for those who retain upper limb movement
These battery-operated scissors come equipped with a colorful base and pair of functional blades with the following dimensions:
- Base size: 6″L x 8″W x 2″H
- Scissor size: 10¼” L x 5″H
What are the uses of these Adapted Scissors?
These battery-powered adaptive shears can help those with special needs by:
- Making it easier for those with limited mobility to manipulate, grip and operate scissors.
- Creating a calming, interactive experience.
- Improving eye-hand coordination.
- Enhancing bilateral coordination by involving both hands simultaneously.
- Supporting self-expression and active involvement.
What to buy with Scissors
How to Operate these Switch Adapted Scissors?
- Scissors requires 2 AA batteries. Use alkaline batteries only (e.g. Duracell or Energizer brand). Do not use rechargeable, heavyduty or any other type of batteries because they supply lower voltage and the unit will not perform properly. Never mix old and new batteries together or different brands or types together.
- To install the AA batteries, you must first remove the scissors from the base. Next carefully pull the bottom handle of the scissors down to reveal the battery compartment. Once the compartment is open install the batteries paying close attention to proper (+) and (-) polarity. Replace cover. Place the scissors back into the base.
- Plug any capability switch into the jack the scissors; make sure it is a tight fit with no gaps.
- Activate your switch and the scissors will run for as long as your switch is activated, once you release your switch the scissors will stop.
- The scissors can be used with or without the base unit. For those without upper extremity use place the scissors into the base unit, then a therapist, teacher or parent can pass what you want to cut in front of the scissors, while the user activates his or her switch to start cutting.
If the scissors do not activate:
- Action#1: Make sure that all batteries are installed following proper (+) and (-) polarity. Batteries must be fresh, if weak or dead replace.
- Action #2: Make sure that the disk is seated flat against the (-) side of the battery it comes in contact with, as described in operation No.1.
- Action #3: Make sure the connection between the scissors and switch are tight with no gaps.
- Action #4: Check your switch with another device that you know works to rule out the scissors as the source of the problem.
How to clean these battery operated scissors?
- The scissors can be wiped clean with any mild household multipurpose, non-abrasive cleaner and disinfectant.
- We recommend Simple Green, which is a non toxic biodegradable all-purpose cleaner.
- Do not submerge the unit in any fluids, as it will damage the contents and the electrical components.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, as they will scratch the surface of the unit.