What is a syringe?
A syringe has a pump and a plunger that fits in a cylindrical tube called a barrel. The plunger is pulled out and pushed in to suck and eject the fluid from the barrel of syringe. Most syringes are well equipped with a hypodermic needle, nozzle, or tubing that helps direct the flow of medication. Typically, syringes are used to inject drugs and eject various body fluids, most commonly blood, from the veins.
Health products for you offers various types of syringes from reputed manufacturers like Becton Dickinson, Covidien/Medtronic, Cardinal Health, Kimberly-Clark / Avanos Medical, and many others.
What are the types of syringes?
Syringes are quintessential for patient care and are perhaps the most frequently used surgical aid for medical professionals. A medical syringe is used for the intravenous delivery medicines to the patients. It is also used to draw blood from the veins for diagnosis.
There are multiple types of syringes available for different purposes. Some of the syringes available at HPFY are-
- Insulin Syringes - Insulin Syringes are one of the most common types of syringes. Insulin syringes are designed for diabetic patients. These insulin syringes are inexpensive, single-time used, and deliver insulin to the body.
- Oral Syringes – Oral syringes are measuring instruments; these syringes are used to measure liquid medication. Oral syringes are used to give medication to the patient. These syringes are also used to increase and decrease the dosage of liquid medicines gradually.
- Dental Syringe – As the name suggests, a dental syringe is used for delivering anesthesia during a dental procedure. A dental syringe is also used for cleaning the debris before the initiation of a dental cavity treatment.
What are the types of syringe needle tips?
A needle syringe has several parts namely, the barrel, the plunger, and the gasket. Apart from these syringe parts, the needle tip also plays an important part when buying a syringe. HPFY offers needle syringes with various needle tips, such as -
- Luer Lock Syringe tip– Luer lock syringe is twisted on the top and gets locked into place by offering clear visual and audible confirmation of the locked position. Luer lock syringe prevents any accidental removal and provides a safe & secure connection to the skin.
- Catheter Tip – A catheter tip syringe is commonly used for flushing and cleaning wounds. This medical syringe is used for cleaning catheters, gastrostomy tubes, and other surgical aids. This syringe needle comes with a tapered tip that forms a tight seal to the skin.
- Slip Tip – Slip tip syringe provides a friction-fit connection. There is no locking function, and the needle hub needs to be pushed onto the syringe. This slip tip syringe allows straight insertion of the tip into the vein. Slip-tip syringe is used for diabetic patients, post-operative situations, vitamin deficiencies, and intramuscular medication.
Buying guide for syringes and needles
- Syringe size– Syringes come in various styles, and they all are used for different purposes. The syringe size is considerable to know how much fluid or medication it can fill. Make sure to buy syringes based on your purpose and use of medicine volume.
- Needle gauge – The syringe gauge refers to the width of the needle. Plastic syringe or metal syringes offers various needle gauge. The needle gauge is considerable on the thickness and depth of the skin. Needle gauges come with a number; the higher gauge number indicates its thickness, and the lower gauge number is used for lighter use.
Where can you buy syringes and needles?
We at HPFY offer a wide range of syringes from top manufacturers like Dynarex Corporation, Bayer Healthcare, Busse Hospital Disposables, Mckesson, North Coast Medical and many more.
Research and article papers on syringes and needles