Features of Mepitel Antimicrobial Wound Contact Dressing
- Molnlycke Mepitel Ag Antimicrobial Wound Contact Layer with Safetac Technology is micro-Adherent.
- Designed for skin tears, skin abrasions and blistering.
- Can remain in place for up to 14 days which in turn ensures undisturbed wound healing.
- Minimizes pain and trauma at dressing changes.
- Enables less frequent dressing changes.
- Maintained product properties over time - leaves no residue and does not dry out.
- Transparent for easy wound inspection during application and during wear.
- Conforms well to body contours, promoting patient comfort during wear.
When to use Mepilex Ag Antimicrobial Wound Contact Layer?
Mepilex Ag is intended for the management of a wide range of exuding wounds such as:
- Skin tears
- Skin Abrasions
- Sutured/Surgical Wounds
- Partial thickness burns
- Partial and full thickness grafts
- Diabetic ulcers
- Venous ulcers and Arterial ulcers
- Sloughy wound
- Low exudation
- Low to medium exudation
- Medium to high exudation
- High exudation
- Painful wound
- Sutured wound
- Superficial wound
- Infected wound
- Post-operative wound
- Traumatic wound
- Skin tear
- Antimicrobial dressings
- Absorbent dressings
What to buy with Molnlycke Mepitel Ag Antimicrobial Wound Dressing
How to apply Mepitel Ag Antimicrobial Wound Contact Layer?
1. Cleanse the wound following normal procedures anddry the surrounding skin thoroughly. Choose a size of Mepitel Ag that covers the wound and the surrounding skin by at least 2 cm, and cut it to fit if needed.
2. While holding the larger protective film, remove the smaller one. Moisten gloves to avoid adherence to Mepitel Ag.
3. Apply Mepitel Ag over the wound.
4. Remove the remaining protective film. Smooth out Mepitel Ag. If more than a piece of Mepitel Ag is needed, the dressings need to be overlapped in such a manner that the open structures are not blocked.
5. Apply an appropriate secondary layer over Mepitel Ag such as Mextra Superabsorbent or Mesorb. In contoured areas, ensure there is sufficient padding to keep Mepitel Ag flat against the wound.
6. Keep the dressings in place by using suitable fixation such as Tubifast.
Frequency of change of Molnlycke Mepitel Ag Dressing
Mepilex Ag may be left in place for up to 8 days depending on the patient, condition of the wound and surrounding skin or as indicated by accepted clinical practice. Duration of treatment is determined by the physician and depends on the wound type and healing conditions.
Safety Precautions to take while using Mepitel Ag Antimicrobial Wound Contact Layer
- Mepitel Ag should be used under the supervision of a qualified health care professional.
- Do not use on patients with a known sensitivity to silver or any other contents of the dressing.
- Clinicians / Healthcare Professionals should be aware that there are very limited data on prolonged and repeated use of silver containing dressings, particularly in children and neonates.
- Mepitel Ag may cause transient discoloration of the wound bed and surrounding skin. Frequent or prolonged use of this product may result in permanent discoloration of the skin.
- The silver sulphate component in Mepitel Ag is intended to act as a preservative for the dressing material. It is not intended to treat infection. In the event of clinical infection Mepitel Ag does not replace the need for systemic therapy or other adequate infection treatment.
- Prior to commencing radiation therapy remove Mepitel Ag if product is present in the treatment area. A new dressing can be applied following treatment.
- If present during conventional X-ray imaging Mepitel Ag will appear as a grid like pattern artifact.
- Avoid contact with electrodes or conductive gels during electronic measurements, e.g. electrocardiograms (ECG) and electroencephalograms (EEG).
- Other than saline solution or water, the interaction of cleansing agents in combination with Mepitel Ag has not been demonstrated.
- The interaction of Mepitel Ag with topical treatments has not been demonstrated.
- For external use only.
- Do not re-use. If reused performance of the product may deteriorate, cross contamination may occur.
- Sterile. Do not use if inner package is damaged or opened prior to use. Do not re-sterilise.
- Do not use after expiry date. If the product is used after the expiry date product properties cannot be ensured.
- Avoid placing pressure upon the dressing when used on partial thickness burns with high risk of rapid granulation or after facial resurfacing.
- When used on bleeding wounds or wounds with high viscosity exudate, Mepitel Ag should be covered with a moist absorbent dressing.
- When Mepitel Ag is used for the fixation of skin grafts, the dressing should not be changed before the fifth day post application.