Banatrol Plus Diarrhea Treatment with Bimuno Prebiotic Features
- Contains 2-3/4 g of Bimuno prebiotic
- Enhances good bacteria while decreasing harmful bacteria
- Effective relief from diarrhea associated with C diff, tube feeding, antibiotics, and oncology therapy
- Can be used as soon as C diff is suspected
- Mixes easily in water or juice
- It can be added to applesauce, pudding, or yogurt
- Enhances the immune system of the elderly
- Prebiotics replenish the beneficial bacteria in the gut
- It can be used orally or through the feeding tube
- Can be added to beverages or soft foods like applesauce cereals, puddings, or shakes
- Low in Lactose: 0.72 g/serving
- Kcal/ml: 0.33
- Caloric Distribution (% of kcal)
- Protein: 0%
- Carbohydrate: 100%
- Fat: 0%
- Prebiotic Sources: Banana flakes and galactooligosaccharide
- Low in Lactose: 0.72 g/serving
- Appropriate for these diets: Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Low Fat
Banatrol Plus with Probiotic Anti-Diarrhea User Manual
When to use?
Typically used for, but not limited to, diarrhea associated with:
- Tube feeding
- Infection Diarrhea- Clostridium difficile (CDI), salmonella
- C. difficile Infectious disease
- Medication-induced diarrhea
- Chemotherapy & radiation therapy
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Precautions and Contra-Indications:
- Banatrol Plus is a medical food. Use under supervision by a qualified healthcare professional use.
- Not for intravenous use.
- Not recommended for children under 3 years of age.
Medtrition Banatrol Ingredients
- Banana: Banana Flakes, Bimuno (galactooligosaccharides, lactose, glucose, galactose). Contains Milk.
Frequently Bought Together
- Diarrhea: One packet of Banatrol Plus TID (three times daily). Titrate the dose as needed with a minimum of one packet/day and a maximum of six packets/day. Continue until the diarrhea is resolved.
- Loose Stools: One packet once or twice a day as needed. Banana-flavored Banatrol Plus is unsweetened and typically added to a moist food or beverage for oral use. Stir one packet into 120 mL of water, fruit juice, or moist foods such as applesauce, yogurt, pudding, and oatmeal.
- One packet of Banatrol Plus TID every six to eight hours of feeding.
- Add 120 mL of room-temperature water to a 240 mL cup.
- Slowly stir in the contents of one packet of Banatrol Plus. Stir until dissolved.
- Administer slowly via syringe down tube.
- Depending on the feeding tube size, you may need to use the syringe plunger to gently push the mixture down the tube.
- Flush with 30 ml water before and after administration. Do not mix with tube feeding.
- When administering Banatrol Plus via feeding tube, we recommend a size-14 French feeding tube or larger to reduce the risk of clogging the tube. Use a minimum of 120 mL water to mix the product.
- Slowly stir one packet of Banatrol Plus into 120 mL water. Mix thoroughly. Infuse via syringe down feeding tube.
Smaller French-size tubes:
- Administer each pack of Banatrol Plus in two divided boluses.
- Slowly stir a half-packet of Banatrol Plus into 120 mL water for small tubes.
- Mix thoroughly. Infuse via syringe down feeding tube.
- Flush with 30 mL water and repeat the procedure to administer the second half of the packet.
- Some patients with J-tubes may not tolerate the volume of fluid used in the divided-bolus method noted above.
- In these cases, frequent small doses separated by at least one to two hours may be better tolerated; i.e., each half-packet of Banatrol Plus mixed with 120 mL of water bolus should be separated by at least one to two hours.
Ostomies (Ileostomy and Colostomy)
- Banatrol Plus can help thicken stools for individuals with an ostomy.
- Adherence to an ostomy diet is required to achieve good results.
- The healthcare clinician will need to determine the regimen of Banatrol Plus that works for the patient.
- In general, those with colostomies require the same dose of Banatrol Plus as those without a colostomy.
- Patients with ileostomies generally require a higher total amount of Banatrol Plus, given in small frequent doses.
Colostomy with loose stools:
- Start with one packet of Banatrol Plus twice a day, wait three to five days, and adjust the dose based on the stool consistency: decrease to one packet for firm stools, or increase to one packet three times a day if needed.
- Allow at least three days for Banatrol Plus to take effect before increasing the dose.
- Over time, the stool from a colostomy starts to normalize; many colostomy patients are able to decrease the Banatrol Plus to just one packet a day, one packet every other day, or even none, depending on their diet and other contributing conditions.
Ileostomy with loose/liquid stools:
- Start with a half-packet of Banatrol Plus before and after meals and before bed, wait three to five days, and adjust the dose based on stool consistency. Often patients are able to determine what works for them.
- Common regimens that patients have used with good results (thicker/less watery stools) include taking one packet of Banatrol Plus one hour before meals and bed, one hour after meals and before bed, or one to two packets every three to four hours while awake.
For C. Diff infection (CDI):
- Banatrol Plus augments antibiotic therapy and does not inhibit gut motility.
- Banatrol Plus thickens the stool and helps reduce the bacteria load with stool elimination.
- Unlike anti-diarrheal medications, Banatrol Plus can be started immediately while awaiting stool test results for suspected C. diff infection.
- Banatrol Plus contains the prebiotic, Bimuno, which is safe for use in immunosuppressed patients.
- Banatrol Plus does not contain any probiotics, so there is no risk of infection from bacterial cross-contamination.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Banatrol Plus Bimuno Prebiotic used for?
Banatrol Plus is used for the management of acute and chronic diarrhea in adults. It contains a prebiotic called Bimuno, which can help to restore balance to the gut microbiome, and soluble fiber, which can help to bulk up stools and reduce diarrhea symptoms.
2. How long does it take for Banatrol Plus to work?
Response to Banatrol Plus generally occurs in 5-7 days, depending on the type and severity of diarrhea, the dose, and the individual's response.
3. What do you mix this medical food powder with?
Mix with 4-8 oz of water or juice. It can be mixed with moist foods such as applesauce or yogurt.