- Amino Acids (L-glutamine, L-leucine, Potassium Aspartate, L-lysine Hydrochloride, L-tyrosine, L-proline, L-valine, L-isoleucine, L-alanine, L-arginine, L-threonine, L-serine, Glycine, L-histidine, L-methionine, L-tryptophan, L-cystine), Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Soy Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, and less than 1%: Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Taurine, Inositol, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, L-carnitine, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B12, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3, Chromic Chloride, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin K1, Sodium Iodide, Ethyl Vanillin.
- Product Characteristics:
- Fat provides 15% of total calories in Phenyl-Free 2 HP. The fat source is soy oil. Soy oil is a source of the essential omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids: linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid.
- Protein equivalents provide 41% of total calories in Phenyl-Free 2 HP. The product provides the essential amino acids (except phenylalanine) as well as nonessential amino acids (see Amino Acids table). Care must be taken to provide enough phenylalanine from other foods to support growth and tissue maintenance. The level of protein equivalents in Phenyl-Free 2 HP is almost 2 times higher than those found in Phenyl-Free 2. The higher protein equivalent concentration in Phenyl-Free 2 HP helps children and adults with PKU meet their protein needs while consuming fewer calories from the product. This, in turn, allows Phenyl-Free 2 HP users to consume a greater variety of foods in order to meet their phenylalanine and calorie needs. The product is appropriate for women with maternal PKU and children and adults who require fewer calories than provided by Phenyl-Free 2.
- Carbohydrate provides 44% of total calories in Phenyl-Free 2 HP. The carbohydrate blend is sucrose (table sugar), corn syrup solids, carbohydrate from the amino acid premix and modified corn starch. The sucrose in the product helps mask the taste of the amino acids. Phenyl-Free 2 HP is lactose-free.
Vitamins and Minerals:
- Phenyl-Free 2 HP provides essential vitamins and minerals at levels that are appropriate for children and adults. The levels of most vitamins and minerals in Phenyl-Free 2 HP are higher than levels found in Phenyl-Free 2.
- Store unopened cans at room temperature. After opening can, keep tightly covered, store in a dry area, and use contents within 1 month. Do not freeze powder or prepared formula. Avoid excessive heat. Use by date on bottom of can
- Phenyl-Free 2 HP is nutritionally incomplete. Care must be taken to provide enough phenylalanine to support growth, using other foods with this amino acid as required. The physician must carefully and constantly supervise the use of Phenyl-Free 2 HP with other foods and adjust the diet based on frequent blood tests. Use by date on bottom of can. Nutritional powders are not sterile.
- Not for parenteral (I.V.) use