Features of Allevyn Foam Dressing
- Allevyn Classic Hydrocellular Foam Dressing is conformable dressing providing comfort for the patient
- Easy to apply and remove, the dressing can be repositioned easily without losing its adherent properties
- Showerproof dressing, allowing patients to shower with the dressing in place
- Consists of a highly absorbent hydrocellular foam pad held between a perforated wound contact layer which is coated with a soft silicone gel adhesive and a highly permeable outer top film
- Achieve the benefits of easy application and removal, and the ability to reposition through an adhesive technology based on a soft silicone gel
- On application, the silicone gel adhesive on dressings flows into the crevices of the skin, allowing more points of contact to stay in place
- On removal, the silicone gel adhesive stretches and flows out of the crevices of the skin, minimizing the risk of trauma to the wound and pain to the patient
When to Use Allevyn Foam Dressing?
- Shallow, granulating wounds
- Chronic and acute exudative wounds
- Full- and partial-thickness wounds such as pressure ulcers, leg ulcers, and diabetic foot ulcers
- Infected wounds
- Malignant wounds
- Surgical wounds
- First and second-degree burns
- Donor sites
Allevyn Wound Dressing Technology
Allevyn Adhesive consists of a highly absorbent hydrocellular foam pad held between an adhesive perforated wound contact layer and a highly permeable outer top film.
- Breathable Top Film: Outer polyurethane top film switches to become more breathable in the presence of exudate. It also helps to prevent strike-through and provides an effective barrier to bacteria and minimizes the risk of cross-contamination.
- Highly Absorbent Foam Core: Hydrocellular foam core is highly absorbent, providing absorption capacity for up to 7 days
- Non-Adherent Wound Contact Layer: Wound contact layer has a low allergy based adhesive, which adheres well to the intact skin, will not stick to the wound and has a proven low risk of skin irritation
The unique triple layer technology effectively manages exudate and ensures that the wound is kept at optimum moisture levels to support moist wound healing. It does this by:
- Transpiring enough fluid to keep the dressing conformable and comfortable
- Retaining enough fluid to keep a healthily moist wound environment
- Absorbing enough fluid to remove unwanted exudate and cellular debris
What to buy with Allevyn Gentle Border Adhesive Foam Dressing
How to apply Allevyn Foam Dressing?
- Cleanse the wound in accordance with local clinical protocols.
- Select the appropriate allevyn dressing size.
- Prepare and clean the skin surrounding the wound area by removing excess moisture. Any excess hair should be clipped to ensure close approximation to the wound.
- Start to remove the protector material from the dressing and anchor the adhesive side of the dressing to the skin.
- Smooth the dressing over the wound, removing the remaining protector material and ensure that the dressing is adhered all around the wound.
- Allevyn Dressing can be cut using an aseptic technique. Ensure any exposed foam areas are covered with an appropriate film dressing, taking care not to cover the entire dressing.
When to change Allevyn Adhesive Foam Wound Dressing?
Dressings can be left in place for up to 7 days depending on the condition of the wound and the surrounding skin or until exudate is visible and approaches to within 1.5cm of the edge of the dressing pad, whichever is sooner.
No need to change
No need to change
Exudate within 1.5cm of the edge of the pad requires changing
Note: If dressings are applied to the sacral area, they may be left in place for up to 5 days, however, due to the increased potential for contamination and infection in this area, increased monitoring of dressing adherence may be required as per local clinical protocols. The decision of when to change should be dependent upon clinical assessment and local protocols should also be taken into consideration.
How to remove Allevyn Adhesive Foam Bandage?
To remove Allevyn Gentle Border, lift one corner of the dressing and slowly peel back until completely removed from the wound.
Precautions to take While using Allevyn Gentle Foam Dressing
- Do not use dressings with oxidizing agents such as hypochlorite solutions (eg. EUSOL) or hydrogen peroxide, as these can break down the absorbent polyurethane component of the dressing. If reddening or sensitization occurs, discontinue use.
- During the early stages of wound management, the dressing should be inspected frequently. Where the product is used on infected wounds, the infection should be inspected and treated as per local clinical protocol.
- Foam Dressings can be left in place for up to 7 days, depending on the condition of the wound and the surrounding skin or until exudate is visible and approaches to within 3 1/16 of an inch (0.5cm) of the edge of the dressing pad, whichever is sooner.
Smith and Nephew Allevyn Foam Adhesive Dressing User Guide
Allevyn Gentle Border Adhesive Foam Dressing Frequently Asked Questions
1. What's a foam dressing?
Foam dressings are very adaptable and supply a cushioning effect, making them suitable for bony prominences or areas of increased friction. It would help if you used foam dressing because they help keep the wound moist and handle moderate-to-heavy exudate.
2. How often should you change a foam dressing?
Replace the dressing every 3 to 7 days or as needed. Add an extra wound dressing to secure non-adhesive foam. You can stretch the adhesive border laterally to make dressing removal easier.
3. What are Foam Dressings made of?
Foam dressings came around approximately 25 years ago. They are made of polyurethane, and provide a soft, absorbent dressing for granulating wounds of varying aetiologies and sizes.
4. Do wounds heal faster covered or uncovered?
According to a few studies, blood vessels repair quicker when wounds are kept wet and covered, and the number of cells that produce inflammation decreases faster than when wounds are left open. An injury should be kept wet and covered for at least five days.
Allevyn Foam Dressing Reviews