Features of Freedom Swedish AFO
- Swedish AFO is available in left or right, men's and women's styles
- Injection molding allows for thicker polypropylene on the vertical aspect for rigidity
- Heat gun may be used to form the splint further if desired
- Padded hook-and-loop strap secures the AFO around the calf
- Footplate can be trimmed with scissors
- Freedom Swedish AFO provides static dorsiflexion assistance
- Injection molding allows for thicker polypropylene
When to wear Freedom Swedish AFO?
Ankle Foot Orthosis by AliMed is used -
- To improve gait patterns
- To reduce, prevent, or limit movement of the lower leg and foot
- To support weaker muscles
- To maintain joint alignment
- Accommodate deformity
- To help reduce spasticity
What are the Causes of Foot Drop?
Foot drop can develop due to lower back condition, stroke or tumor, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, motor neuron disease, multiple sclerosis, overuse of drugs/ alcohol, or an injury to the foot. Some of the common causes of foot drop are:
- Diabetes: People who have diabetes are more susceptible to foot drops.
- Nerve Damage: Compressed nerves (peroneal nerve) in the leg lose the ability to control the muscles involved in lifting the foot. Hip or knee replacement surgery or an accidental injury can cause foot drop.
- Brain and Spinal Cord Damage: Damage to the spinal cord or brain due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis, or stroke can cause foot drops.
- Muscular Damage: Muscular dystrophy or muscle weakness can cause foot drop. Other disorders such as polio and Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease are common contributors to foot drop.
What to buy with Freedom Swedish Ankle Foot Orthosis
How to measure Alimed Ankle Foot Orthotic?
- Take the length of the foot from the longest point.
- Measure the width of the metatarsal heads at the foot's widest point.
- Measure above the ankle at the level of the two malleoli.
- Take three circumference measurements of the lower leg, the first one above the ankle joint, another point 3 inches above it, and the last circumference around the head of the fibula.
- Take the length of the leg from the ground to the head of the fibula level.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an AFO brace used for?
An ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) is used to improve walking patterns by reducing, preventing, or limiting movement of the lower leg and foot and by supporting weak muscles.
2. Can you wear AFO for Foot Drop without shoes?
Shoes must be worn while wearing AFOs. Do not wear the AFO without shoes, as it can be slippery.
3. Can you wear an Ankle Foot Orthotic without socks?
Socks will help your AFO feel more comfortable and prevent redness and pressure points on your skin. As a general rule of thumb, you should opt for thicker socks since they can act as cushioning for the brace.
Freedom Swedish AFO Specifications
||Left / Right Foot
||FREEDOM Swedish AFO
||Ankle / Foot Orthosis
||Black / White
||Men - 12 , Women 9-1/2
Swedish AFO Brace Reviews