Features of Mepilex Border Sacrum Dressings by Molnlycke Healthcare
- Soft silicone layer conforms to the uneven skin surface, creating a secure fixation over a large contact area
- Self-adherent, no secondary fixation required
- Thin and semi-transparent border of Molnlycke Mepilex Border Sacrum dressing offers enhanced fixation and security
- Multilayered foam pad enhances fluid uptake and optimal moisture balance
- Does not stick to moist wound bed but only to dry tissue
- Mepilex Border Sacrum Dressing allows for atraumatic removal
- Easily lifts and adjusts without losing the adherent properties
- Maintains a moist wound environment
- Sacral Border Dressing lower risks of skin irritation and allergy
- Minimizes the risk of maceration
- Minimizes pain, trauma and skin stripping
- Can be used under compression bandages
- Lower friction coefficient for secure fixation
- Soft and conformable
What to buy with Molnlycke Foam Dressing
How does Molnlycke Mepilex Border Foam Dressing work?
Mepilex Border Sacrum foam dressing comprises of five layers which work in the following manner:
- Safetac layer: Located closest to the skin and helps in the prevention of horizontal leakage
- Absorption layer: Provides quick and effective absorption
- Spreading layer: Evenly distributes exudate into the retention layer
- Retention layer: Prevents exudate from going back into the skin, reducing the risk of maceration
- Backing film: Waterproof, bacteria proof and highly breathable to protect the wound from outer contamination
Absorption, Retention and Spreading layers maintain an optimal moisture level and minimize the risk of skin breakdowns. They help in dissipating shear and redistributing pressure. The elasticity of Safetac layer helps dissipate shear forces and provides easy repositioning of dressing after skin assessment in pressure ulcer prevention.
When to use Mepilex Sacrum Border?
- Sloughy wound
- Red granulated wound
- Medium to high exudation
- Painful wound
- Sutured wound
- Superficial wound
- Fragile skin
- Pressure ulcer
- Skin tear
- Pressure ulcer prevention dressings
- Bordered foam dressings
- Shaped dressings
- Absorbent dressings
- Pressure ulcer treatment dressings
Mepilex Border Safetac Technology:
Safetac is a soft silicone adhesive technology patented by Molnlycke Health Care
. It assists in optimizing the wound healing journey. The use of Mepilex Border Sacrum with Safetac technology reduces tissue damage and patient pain during dressing changes. It does not adhere to the moist wound bed, seals the edges of the wound, prevents exudate leakage onto the surrounding skin, reduces the risk for maceration, and does not strip off skin while maintaining a microclimate optimal for wound healing. All this results in less stressful dressing changes, less pain, and potentially a faster healing process.
How do you use Mepilex Border Sacrum Dressing?
- When used as part of prophylactic therapy:
- Clean and dry the skin thoroughly
- Select an appropriate size/ shape of Mepilex Dressing. The wound pad should cover the area at risk of pressure injury/ tissue damage
- Remove the first release film and apply the adherent side to the skin
- Remove the remaining release films and smooth down the border on the skin. Do not stretch the dressing
- The area at risk of pressure ulcer/tissue damage should be inspected at regular intervals according to clinical practice. The dressing change interval may be several days. Change the dressing based on its condition, or as indicated by clinical practice.
- When used for wound treatment:
- Cleanse the wound according to clinical practice. Dry the surrounding skin thoroughly.
- Select an appropriate size/ shape. The wound pad should cover the dry surrounding skin by at least 1-2 cm.
- Remove the first release film and apply the adherent side to the wound
- Remove the remaining release films and smooth down the border on the skin. Do not stretch the dressing. Disposal should be handled according to local environmental procedures.
How often do you change Mepilex Sacrum?
The dressing change interval may be several days depends on the wound condition. Change the dressing before it is fully saturated, at signs of leakage, or as indicated by clinical practice.
How long can you leave Mepilex Dressing on?
Can stay in place for up to 7 days depending on the wound condition.
Precautions to take while using Mepilex Border Sacrum Foam Dressing
- In case of signs of clinical infection, consult a healthcare professional for adequate infection treatment
- Do not use Mepilex Border bandages together with oxidizing agents such as hypochlorite solutions or hydrogen peroxide
- The dressing should be stored in dry conditions below 35°C (95F) and be protected from direct sunlight
- Do not use if inner package is damaged
- Sterility is guaranteed if inner package is intact. Do not resterilize
Molnlycke Mepilex Border Sacrum Foam Dressing User Manual