3M Durapore Tape Features
- Durapore is perfect for securing regular and bulky dressings, tubing and immobilization
- 3M Durapore Tape designed to be as gentle as possible, yet deliver the desired performance
- Durable, no-stretch silk-like Cloth Tape for critical tubing applications
- Convenient bi-directional tear for easy application
- High strength, versatile and conformable
- Pressure sensitive - adheres with only finger or hand pressure
- Durapore Tape is not made with natural rubber latex
- Hypoallergenic Tape
- Color: White
When to use Durapore Surgical Tape?
How Safe And Effective is 3M Durapore Silk Tape?
Safe as shown by:
- Human Cumulative Irritation Patch Testing
- Human Repeat Insult Patch Testing
Effective as shown by:
- Product evaluations in clinical settings
- Extensive tests on human volunteers
3M Durapore - Tips For Trouble-free Taping
What to buy with 3M Durapore Cloth Tape
How to use 3M Durapore Tape?
Preparations Prior to 3M Durapore Tape 1538 Application
- 3M Durapore Surgical Tape should be applied without tension to clean, dry skin.
- A clipper may be used to remove hair, if necessary.
- To protect at-risk skin, 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film may be applied and when thoroughly dry, tape may be applied over it.
- In general, do not encircle a limb completely with tape.
- If distention is anticipated, use a tape that stretches or a self-adherent wrap to secure the dressing or tubing.
3M Durapore Application:
For General taping
- Apply 3M Silk tape without tension, gently but firmly stroking the surface to maximize adhesion.
- Tape should extend at least one-half inch beyond the dressing.
- Durapore Surgical Tape should not be pulled or stretched when applied.
- If swelling does occur, loosen and re-fasten or replace tape to relieve the tension.
When compression is required
- Place first section of tape without tension onto skin on one side of the dressing, gently pressing downward.
- With one hand, secure tape on one edge of the dressing while slightly stretching next section of tape over the dressing.
- Secure tape on opposite edge of the dressing.
- Press remaining tape onto skin without tension.
- Compression should come from the multiple layers of dressing material, not from excessive tension in the tape.
- Skin distention under tape may result in blistering and should be relieved as soon as possible.
How to remove 3M Durapore Silk Tape?
Proper tape removal is critical in reducing the skin trauma:
- Loosen edges of 3M Durapore Surgical Tape. If necessary, press a small piece of tape onto a corner to start an edge of the tape.
- Stabilize the skin with one finger.
- Remove tape “low and slow” in direction of hair growth, keeping it close to skin surface and pull back over itself.
- Removing tape at an angle will pull the epidermis increasing risk of mechanical trauma. As tape is removed, continue supporting newly exposed skin.
What to Consider While Choosing A Tape For Tube Or Dressing Secural?
I. Degree of importance of tube or dressing:
- The more critical the tubing/dressing, the higher the adhesion required.
- Strength of adhesion and backing may be more important than gentleness.
- Gentle tapes with higher adhesion may be used without increasing the risk of skin trauma if properly applied and removed.
- Some tapes are less gentle but are used for high initial adhesion, high long-term adhesion and high strength of backing.
II. Surface characteristics:
- Wet: secretions, leaking tubes
- Intact vs. impaired skin integrity
- Elastic vs. non-elastic
- Fragile skin (elderly, very young)
- “At-risk” (e.g., patient on systemic
corticosteroids, chemotherapy; malnourished)
- Material: metal, plastic, other
- Diameter: small, large
- Texture: smooth, ribbed, other
- Material: PVC, silicone, other
- Potential for drag or pull
- Other support (e.g., sutures, tunneling)
- Heavy tubings require higher adhesion.
- Bulky dressings require high conformability and may require greater adhesion.
- Individual results may vary.
III. Activity level of patient:
- The more active the patient, the higher the adhesion required.
IV.Potential for skin surface distention or movement:
- The risk of skin damage may be reduced by using tapes that stretch with skin distention or movement.
V. Anticipated wear time:
- Tape adhesion generally builds over time. Breathable tapes are used for longer term wear.
VI. History and current medical conditions:
- History and current medical conditions should be studied e.g., allergies/ sensitivities to medical adhesives, medications, medical conditions
3M Durapore Silk Cloth Hypoallergenic Tape FAQs
1. What is the 3M Durapore tape purpose?
3M Silk-like Cloth Hypoallergenic Durapore Tape is a high-quality silky soft surgical tape manufactured. This multi-purpose adhesive tape is easy to tear, permeable, and hypoallergenic.
2. Is 3M Durapore tape breathable?
The latex-free hypoallergenic adhesive offers high-strength adhesion that is gentle for the skin. It is good for repeated applications on sensitive skin and elderly patients. Allows moisture evaporation and skin to breathe, leaving minimal adhesive residue upon removal.
3. What is 3M durapore made of?
3M Durapore Surgical Tape is a latex-free, multi-purpose, hypoallergenic silk-like tape. It has strong, durable backing for applications where strength is required. 3M Durapore Surgical Tape has woven support for extra strength. Its excellent adhesion provides security for critical taping situations.
4. Can you put surgical tape directly on a wound?
The user may place the 3M Silk tape directly on the wound (even if it is not yet completely healed) and leave it in the place for several days at a time. The user can shower with it in place and perform the scar massage through the tape.
5. Is 3M medical adhesive tape toxic?
This medical tape is non-toxic, hypoallergenic hospital tape. These do not cause skin irritation and heals wound quickly.
6. What is the use of Durapore Silk Surgical Tape?
This medical tape is used for many different applications such as securing bulky dressings, tubing, and small splints. The latex-free hypoallergenic adhesive offers high-strength adhesion that is gentle to the skin.