Cavilon No Sting Moisture Barrier Film Features
- Can be used on both intact and damaged skin
- Fast drying and non-sticky for better patient comfort
- Works even when applied over an area with bends or creases
- Non-cytotoxic and hypoallergenic
- Latex Free
- Clinically-Proven: Supported by more clinical evidence than any other moisture barrier or barrier film, 70+ clinical studies
- Versatile Solution: Guards Skin From the Outside in- solution for many skin problems including, medical adhesive-related skin injury (MARSI), periwound skin damage, peristomal skin damage, incontinence-associated dermatitis and other mositure and friction skin damage prevention needs
- Patient Friendly: Alcohol-free, hypoallergenic formula won;t sting or irritate skin. Can be used on intact or damaged skin
- Simplifies Caregiving: Durable, breathable, fast drying, non-sticky, waterproof and CHG compatible formula allows for continuous visualization and monitoring of the skin
- Unique Formulation: Original, and only terpolymer based alcohol-free barrier film that provides protection from skin damage. It is flexible and conforms to the skin during movement and position changes allowing for a continuous skin protection barrier
What to buy with 3M Cavilon Barrier Film
When to use Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film?
Skin Care Condition Type
- Incontinence-Associated Dermatitis
- Skin Damage
- Peri-Tube Skin Irritation
- Radiation Dermatitis
- Tracheostomy Site Trauma
- Trauma from Tapes and Dressings
Wound Care Condition Type
- Closed Intact Surgical Wound
- Donor Sites, Friction
- Neuropathic Ulcers
- Open Surgical Wounds
- Skin Tear
- Superficial Partial Thickness Burns
- Venous Leg Ulcer
IV Related Condition Type
- Arterial Catheter
- CVC Dialysis
- CVC Implanted Port
- CVC PICC
- CVC Short-Term
- CVC Tunneled
- Epidural Catheter
Contraindications of 3M Cavilon Barrier
- As the only covering in situations that require dressing protection from bacterial contamination/ penetration, e.g. intravenous therapy catheter sites and full or partial thickness wounds
- On infected areas of the skin
How to use 3M Cavilon Barrier?
Application of Moisture Cavilon Barrier :
- Skin should be clean and dry prior to application of Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film
- Apply a uniform coating of film over entire area of concern
- If an area is missed, reapply to that area only after first application of Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film has dried (approximately 30 seconds)
- If Cavilon Barrier Film is applied to area with skin folds or other skin-to-skin contact, make sure that skin contact areas are separated to allow the film to thoroughly dry before returning to normal position. 5. When used under adhesive tapes, dressings, or devices:
- Allow Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film to thoroughly dry before covering with dressings or adhesive products
- Reapplication of Cavilon Barrier is necessary each time dressing and/or adhesive products are changed; the adhesive removes the barrier film.
Removal of Barrier Film:
- It is not necessary to remove Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film.
- Buildup of barrier film may look like white scaling but is not harmful.
- If desired, it may be removed with a gentle medical adhesive remover.
- Cavilon No Sting Barrier, in liquid form, is flammable; use in well ventilated area.
- Avoid using around flames and sources of ignition.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
3M Cavilon User Guides
Cavilon Barrier Film FAQ's
Q: Can this product be used on open skin?
A: Yes, the product is non-stinging, and non-cytotoxic (meaning it will not interfere with healing). However, 3M No Sting Barrier Film may not adhere adequately if the dermis is exposed and the affected area is weeping.
Q: Does Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film affect adhesion?
A: The product does not interfere with adhesion of 3M Medical Tapes or adhesive dressings. We are not able to comment on the effect on other manufacturers’ products.
Q: Can Cavilon Film be used around intravenous catheter insertion sites?
A: Yes. Versions (1 mL and 3 mL wand) may be used to protect skin from repeated dressing changes. Antimicrobial prep solutions should be allowed to dry completely before application of the barrier film. The film should not be applied to the area immediately surrounding the catheter. 3M Tegaderm Transparent Film Dressings may then be applied to cover and protect the insertion site.
Q: Can Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film be used in conjunction with patches, plasters or other delivery systems for topical drugs?
A: No, 3M No Sting Barrier, although moisture-vapor permeable does form a barrier over the epidermis so it is likely to interfere with the intended absorption of a drug.