Features of W-700 Hand Based Splint
- Helpful with decreasing minor spasticity and flexor tone
- Specify left or right hand
- Full product weight is only about 3 ounces
- Available in most VSN colors.
- Improves grip through dynamic, resistive support of the hand, wrist and digits.
Benik Hand Based CVA/TBI Splint
- Hand or Forearm Based Thermoplastic Splint
- 4 MP Extensor Stays
- Neoprene Thumb Strap
- 4 PIP/DIP Extensor Straps
What to buy with Benik Hand Based Splint
How to use W-700 Hand Based CVA/TBI Splint?
Heating and Forming Thermoplastic Splint of Benik W-700
Thermoplastic splints will not fit or function properly until heated and formed to the patient. Issues with the size or fit of the splint cannot be determined until it has been properly heated and formed.
Heat and form Thermoplastic Splint before applying MP Extensor Stays. The Rigid Stays contain metal. Do not put the splint in the microwave if MP Extensor Stays are attached.
- Place Benik hand based preformed splint in the microwave (on high) for 10 seconds. Laying the Velcro straps out and not on the thermoplastic panel helps it heat more evenly. Turn Splint over and heat for another 10 seconds. Heating may also be performed using a hydrocollator or hot water (185°F).
- Check to see if the entire thermoplastic panel is pliable. If not, reheat using 10-second intervals, flipping the splint over each time.
- When heating is complete, check inside of splint to be sure there are no hot spots before applying a splint to the patient.
- Place splint on patient dorsally, inserting thumb and fingers (leaving index finger free) through slots at a distal end of splint. Fasten wrist/forearm straps.
- Keep the patient in the desired position until the thermoplastic panel cools and hardens. An ice bag may be used to accelerate the cooling of the panel.
- Once set, remove from the patient and allow 15 minutes to completely harden.
- If the correct fit is not obtained, remove the product and repeat the above procedures or spot-treat specific areas with a household iron set to medium.
MP Extensor Stay Application of Benik Hand Based Splint
Note: Properly fitting and trimming excess material is critical to the function and comfort of the splint.
- With the patient wearing the already formed splint and, beginning with the index finger, attach the rigid portion of an MP Extensor Stay to the Velcrosensitive dorsal side of the splint along the pathway of the EDC.
- Wrap the strap around the proximal phalanx of the finger using slight tension. Note where the strap begins to overlap once it has encircled the finger, and make a mark on the inside lining material of the strap.
- Peel back the inside lining of the strap to the mark and remove the excess material with scissors to reduce bulk and expose the hook Velcro underneath. Do not cut the outside velcro strap at this point.
- Now allow the strap to fasten across the top of the finger. Note where the strap completely crosses the top of the finger, and remove excess material with scissors to reduce bulk.
- The MP Extensor Stay can now be adjusted to provide the desired extension by moving it proximally or distally on the splint.
- Repeat the process with each finger ending with the pinky.
- Once the stays are in place, attach one end of the Neoprene Thumb Strap dorsally alongside the index finger MP Extensor Stay. Wrap the Neoprene Thumb Strap between the thumb and index finger, bringing it under the thumb and back up across the dorsal side of the hand, attaching the other end at the wrist.
- For additional DIP and PIP extensions, the DIP/PIP Extensor Straps can be placed on the end of each finger and secured along the path of each stay. Adjust resistance for the desired extension. Care should be taken to avoid DIP hyperextension
How to clean and clean the Benik W-700?
W-700 Hand Based CVA/TBI Splint Instruction Manual
- Wash frequently to remove body oils and other soil.
- Hand wash in warm water and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
- Do not wring. Be sure support is completely dry before reapplying it.
- Do not use ointments or oils under the support.
- Do not dry clean or expose to heat or sunlight for extended periods of time.
Specifications of W-700 Hand Based CVA/TBI Splint
|Size ||Wrist Circumference |
|Small/Medium ||6 1/2" - 8" |
|Medium/Large ||8 - 9 1/2" |