Portex Acapella Choice Vibratory PEP Device Features
- Enhanced dial markings for easy resistance setting changes
- Aids in the mobilization of retained secretions
- Prevents or reverses atelectasis
- Acapella Choice PEP Therapy Device reduces air-trapping
- Optimizes delivery of bronchodilators
- Adjustable frequency and flow resistance settings
- Treatment can be performed in less than half the time of a conventional CPT session
- Proximal medication nebulizer placement on the Acapella delivers equivalent aerosol to the lung compared to the use of a nebulizer alone
- Disassembly for easy cleaning and disinfection
- > 15 L/min expiratory flow requirement
How does the Acapella Device work?
Acapella Breathing Device by Smiths Medical directs exhaled air through an opening which is periodically closed by a pivoting cone. As air passes through the opening, the cone alternately closes and opens the airflow path. The result is a vibrating pressure waveform. For most users, frequencies between 0-30 Hz are obtained while maintaining positive pressure throughout the exhalation process. This is referred to as vibratory PEP therapy.
Through adjusting the dial, the frequency of the vibrating pressure waves and the resistance of the opening changes.
What to buy with Acapella Choice Vibratory PEP Device
How to use Acapella Choice Vibratory PEP Therapy System?
How to Prepare for Acapella Choice PEP Device?
- Wash your hands
- Ensure the adjustment dial is set correctly as directed by your healthcare provider
How to proceed to use the Acapella PEP Therapy Device?
- Place the mouthpiece gently into your mouth.
- Keeping the device in your mouth, take a deep breath and hold it for 2-3 seconds.
- Breathe out through the PEP device slowly and smoothly for 6-9 seconds, while keeping a tight seal on the mouthpiece.
- Repeat this breathing exercise 10-20 times.
- Remove the mouthpiece (or mask) and perform 2-3 huff coughs. A huff cough is like blowing out candles with your mouth wide open.
How to clean the Acapella PEP System?
- Take apart the acapella choice PEP device
- Soak the parts in warm, soapy water for 15-20 minutes
- Place the acapella choice PEP device in the dishwasher (top rack)
Smiths Medical Acapella Choice PEP Therapy System FAQs
What is PEP therapy?
Positive expiratory pressure (PEP) therapy involves breathing with a slightly active expiration against expiratory resistance. It is used for the clearance of excess lung secretions, reduction of gas trapping, and improvement of lung ventilation.
How long does an Acapella Breathing Device last?
Acapella choice is a single patient-use device and reusable. Replaced it every six months.
How often should I use my Acapella?
Use it 2 to 4 times a day for 15 minutes (or as prescribed by your health care provider). You'll be told by your healthcare provider how many times a day you can use Acapella. Use Acapella 15 minutes after you inhale the drug if you are using a short-acting inhaled bronchodilator.
What is the difference between low and high-flow units?
Low-flow unit means the unit works at less than 15 LPM (liters per minute) for 3 seconds, and the high-flow unit means that it works at more than 15 LPM for 3 seconds.