What to buy with Decannulation Cap
How to use Shiley CAP Decannulation Cap?
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and put on clean gloves.
- Ensure that the patient is in a comfortable position and has no difficulty breathing.
- Remove the inner cannula of the tracheostomy tube if present, and clean the end of the tube with a sterile saline solution.
- Select the appropriate size of decannulation cap for the patient's tracheostomy tube.
- Remove the cap from its packaging and inspect it for any damage or defects.
- Align the cap over the end of the tracheostomy tube and press it firmly into place.
- Ensure that the cap is securely in place and that the patient is able to breathe comfortably.
- Observe the patient for any signs of discomfort or distress, and monitor their breathing and vital signs.
- If the patient tolerates the decannulation cap well, gradually increase the amount of time they wear it each day, under the guidance of a healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Shiley Decannulation Cap used for?
The Shiley Decannulation Cap is used to help wean patients from tracheostomy tubes. It is a small, disposable cap that is placed over the end of a tracheostomy tube to allow the patient to breathe through their upper airway while the tube is still in place.
How does the decannulation cap work?
The decannulation cap has a one-way valve that allows air to flow in through the upper airway, but not out through the tracheostomy tube. This helps to retrain the patient's respiratory muscles and improve their ability to breathe without the tube.
Is the decannulation cap comfortable for patients to wear?
Yes, the decannulation cap is made of soft, flexible material that is comfortable for the patient to wear.
Can the decannulation cap be used with any tracheostomy tube?
No, the decannulation cap is available in different sizes to fit various tracheostomy tubes. You should use the appropriate size of decannulation cap for the patient's tracheostomy tube.
How long should the patient wear the decannulation cap?
The length of time the patient should wear the decannulation cap will vary depending on their individual needs and the guidance of their healthcare provider. The cap is typically used under the guidance of a healthcare provider, who will monitor the patient's progress and determine when it is appropriate to remove the tracheostomy tube altogether.
Can the decannulation cap be reused?
No, the decannulation cap is a disposable medical device and should not be reused.
Shiley Decannulation Cap Reviews