Features of Nephrostomy Drainage Bag
- Anti-Reflux Valve to prevent retrograde contamination
- Fully Adjustable soft waist belt
- Twist Type Outlet Valve for quick and easy emptying
- This drainage bag includes graduated markers to accurately measure the fluid output
Conditions to use nephrostomy drainage bag
Frequently Bought Together
How to empty Nephrostomy Drainage Bag?
- Always wash your hands with soap and water before emptying or removing your current bag.
- After placing a towel under the connection between your catheter and bag, pinch off the rubber tube to the catheter and remove it from the old bag (to avoid urine leakage).
- Wipe down the new tip of your leg bag with an alcohol pad or cotton ball before inserting it into a catheter tube.
- Secure the leg bag's straps with medical tape, being sure to leave a little slack to avoid any pressure on the catheter.
How to clean Nephrostomy Drainage Bag?
- To keep track, measure the urine collected in the drainage bag.
- Do not wait for the collection bag to be full and remove it when it is half or two-thirds full.
- Drain the collected urine into the pot by opening the spout at the bottom of the drainage bag.
- To clean the bag, you may be required to separate the bag from the tube and replace it with other bags.
- There are cleaning solutions available to clean the tube. Ask your doctor to supervise you on which solution you must use.
- Take a needle-less plastic syringe and gently force the cleaning solution inside the urine bag as you clean it.
- Please read the directions on the cleaning solution and how much time you need to keep it within the drainage bag.
- Drain the solution out of the spout at the bottom.
- Before reusing the bag, let it air dry after cleaning it.
- Never use reusable bags for more than a week.
How often you should change a nephrostomy drainage bag?
As directed by the manufacturer, nephrostomy tubes are changed every three months. On average, a drainage bag is changed every 5-7 days. Proper hand hygiene is required while handling the drain, exit site, or emptying the drainage bag.
What is the purpose of a nephrostomy drainage bag?
A nephrostomy catheter is used to clear a blockage in the urinary system. The catheter is inserted into the kidneys via the skin, and the urine gets drained into a bag outside the body.
Can you still pee with a nephrostomy tube?
Yes, The urine is produced by one or both kidneys and collected in a bag outside the body.
Can I sleep on my nephrostomy side?
No, you cannot sleep on the Nephrostomy side. Find a position that is comfortable for you if you have tubes in both kidneys. If lying on one side of the tube is uncomfortable, try lying on the other. More strenuous exercise can cause pain, so it's best to avoid it.
How to wear a nephrostomy drainage bag?
- Keep the tube taped to your skin and connected to a drainage bag underneath your kidneys.
- This reduces the risk of urine backing up into your kidneys.
- To make it easier to move around, you can wear a small drainage bag strapped to your leg.