Features of Ossur Miami J Cervical Collar
- Sorbatex padding is antibacterial and clinically proven to inhibit microbial growth, which enhances comfort and helps assure patient compliance
- Known as the superior c-spine immobilizer through multiple independent studies
- Bio-engineered to minimize pressure points in key known areas; chin, occiput, trapezious and clavicle
- Sizing based on 6 phenotypes to assure proper fit
- Comfort adjustment buttons for occiput and mandible, removable sternal pad for supine and swallowing
- This cervical collar is not made with natural rubber latex
- MRI, CT and X-ray lucent, MR safe
What to buy with Miami J Neck Brace
When to use Ossur Miami J Cervial Collar?
Situations requiring gross immobilization of the cervical spine, these may include:
- Stable cervical fractures
- Cervical spondylitis
- Cervical spondylosis
- RA and OA cervical spine
- Herniated cervical disc
- Motor Neurone Disease
Sizing Tips for Miami J C Collar
- If you are deciding between two consecutive sizes, try the smaller size first
- Use the largest size that fits comfortably and maintains desired treatment position
- To insure proper sizing, it is a good idea to fit operative patients prior to surgery
- Collar size may be incorrectly identified in the presence of postoperative dressings and swelling
- Miami J Neck Brace Fronts and Backs are interchangeable; However, this is rarely necessary. – e.g., To accommodate a larger neck circumference with use of the 200S (Super Short), the Back of the 200L (Stout) size may be substituted
Caution : Federal law restricts this device to sale by, or on the order of, a physician
Measurements for Miami J Collar Cervical Neck Brace
Sizing based on 6 phenotypes to ensure correct fit and optimum immobilization. Phenotype-driven sizing system makes size selection simple while drastically reducing margin of error in fitting a patient. Each collar has a bioengineered front with a specific back designed to work together for superior immobilization.
Note - For individuals with neck circumference > 25", the Bariatric collar is recommended. Miami J Collars are for adult and adolescent patients. For childern 12 and under consult Miami Jr. sizing and application instructions.
Application Instructions (Suspine) of Miami J Cervical Collar
At least two persons are needed for initial collar placement: one to maintain the patient's head and neck in proper alignment, the second to fit the collar.
- Remove any pillows from behind the patient’s head. Position patient with arms to the side, shoulders down and head centrally aligned.
- Slide the Back Piece behind the patient´s neck and center it. Ensure the blue Sorbatex padding extends beyond the edge of the plastic.
- Flare the sides of the Front out, slide it up the chest wall and scoop it up under the chin.
- Sides of the collar Front should be oriented up, off the trapezius, and toward the ears.
- While holding the Front securely, curl the ends snugly against the patient´s neck. Apply the hook and loop strap and secure the opposite side of the collar in the same fashion. Tighten straps alternately, one at a time, to an equal length on both sides. Place the Front of collar inside the Back.
- Hook and loop straps must be aligned symmetrically and oriented “blue-on-blue” to the Front adhesive sections. When the patient is properly fit, there should be equal amounts of excess hook and loop overhanging the Front blue adhesive sections. These may be trimmed. Collar application must be secure to ensure proper fit, maintain 7alignment, and to prevent the chin from slipping inside. If the patient can slip his/her chin inside the collar, it is clear indication that it is not snug enough. It is nearly impossible to fit a properly sized collar too tight.
Upright Application of Ossur Neck Support
- To fit the collar to a sitting or standing patient, follow the instructions for supine application.
- Whenever possible, fit the collar to a sitting or standing patient.
How to do the final adjustments of Miami J Collar Cervical Neck Brace?
Angulation Buttons of Ossur Miami J Collar
- The Angulation Buttons may be used to fine-tune the fit of the collar for better anatomical conformity, pressure distribution and comfort.
- Minor adjustments in angulation of the Chin and Occipital Support can significantly reduce pressure area as at these critical contact points.
- It is easier to adjust the Angulation Buttons if you first remove the collar.
Chin Support Positioning Guidelines of Ossur Neck Support
- Slide up to relieve chin tip pressure or discomfort.
- Slide down to relieve jaw/mandibular pressure or discomfort.
- For a patient with a heart-shape face, set the Chin Support Buttons to top position. ? For a square face, set the Chin Support Buttons to bottom position.
Occiput Support Positioning Guidelines of Ossur Miami J Cervical Collar
- Slide up to relieve occipital pressure or discomfort.
- Slide down to enhance extension control.
- For a predominately supine patient keep Occipital Support Buttons set to top position. this will direct the top edge of the collar shell into the bed.
Sternal Pad of Miami J Neck Collar Front and Back Panels
- The Miami Jincludes a removable sternal pad to distribute ambulatory pressure.
- It may be removed if patient anatomy dictates, for comfort during sleep and/or during meals to ease chewing and swallowing.
- Please keep sternal pad with patient´s belongings in case collar is prescribed for long-term or at-home use.
Miami J Collar Troubleshooting
|Lower edge of collar digging into clavicle or trapezius
Re-fit anterior half of the collar and direct sides up toward the ears
Collar fit too closely/tightly against the neck
Size “up” to the next taller size
Pressure or redness on chin or occiput
Remove pillows from behind patient´s head. Check that Angulation Buttons are properly set and that routine skin care is being performed.
Chin slips in collar
Snug it up
Running out of hook and loop when securing the collar
Check size. Either the circumference is too large or the collar is too short.
Patient complaining of chewing and swallowing problems
Remove Sternal Pad during meals
Ossur Miami J Collar User Manuals
Size chart of Ossur Miami J Cervical Collar With Front And Back Panels