MIC-KEY Low-Profile Gastrostomy Feeding Tube Extension Sets Features
- It has recessed distal tip design
- Proximal anti-reflux valve
- Secur-Lok extension set connector mechanism
- Radiopaque stripe
When to use MIC KEY 14FR Gastrostomy Feeding Tube?
The MIC-KEY Low-Profile Gastrostomy Feeding Tube is indicated for use in patients:
- Who require long-term feeding
- Who are unable to tolerate oral feeding
- who are at low risk for aspiration, require gastric decompression and/or medication delivery directly into the stomach
What to buy with MICKey Extension Tubing
How to measure Mic-Key Stoma length?
Selection of the correct size MIC-KEY is critical for the safety and comfort of the patient. Measure the length of the patient’s stoma with the Stoma Measuring Device. The shaft length of the MIC-KEY selected should be the same as the length of the stoma. An inappropriately sized MIC-KEY can cause necrosis, buried bumper syndrome, and/or hypergranulation tissue.
- Lubricate the tip of the Stoma Measuring Device with water-soluble lubricant.
- Caution: Do not use mineral oil. Do not use petroleum jelly.
- Advance the Stoma Measuring Device over the guidewire, through the stoma, and into the stomach. Caution: Do not use force.
- Fill the Luer slip syringe with 5 ml of water and attach to the balloon valve. Depress the syringe plunger and inflate the balloon.
- Gently pull the device toward the abdomen until the balloon rests against the inside of the stomach wall.
- Slide the plastic disc down to the abdomen and record the measurement above the disc.
- Add 4–5 mm to the recorded measurement to ensure the proper stoma length and fit in any position. Record the measurement.
- Using a Luer slip syringe, remove the water in the balloon.
- Remove the stoma measuring device.
- Document the date, lot number, and measured centimeter shaft length.
How to replace MIC-KEY Gastrostomy Feeding Tube?
- Cleanse the skin around the stoma site and allow the area to air dry.
- Measure the stoma length with the stoma Measuring Device.
- Select the appropriate size MIC-KEY Gastrostomy Feeding Tube and prepare according to the instructions in the Balloon Verification section.
- Lubricate the balloon tip with water-soluble lubricant and gently insert the MIC-KEY through the stoma into the stomach.
- Ensure the external base is flush with the skin.
- Using the 6 ml Luer slip syringe, inflate the balloon with sterile or distilled water per the Inflation Table.
- Caution: Do not exceed 5 ml total balloon volume inside the 12 Fr balloon. Do not inject contrast into the balloon. Do not use air or saline. Caution: Do not exceed 10 ml total balloon volume in 14 Fr or larger feeding tube balloons. Do not inject contrast into the balloon. Do not use air or saline.
- Clean the residual fluid or lubricant from the Feeding Tube and stoma.
- Verify proper Feeding Tube position according to the instructions in the Verify MIC-KEY Position and Patency section above.
Mic-KeyFeeding Tube User Manual