What to buy with ConvaTec ActiveLife Drainable Pouch
How to use ActiveLife Drainable Pouch?
Begin by cleansing the peristomal skin with mild soap and water (soaps should be free of oils, cream and aloe). Do not use baby wipes. Pat dry thoroughly. The skin should be free of any solvent or greasy substances.
Preparation of Skin Barrier/Wafer:
- Measure the stoma size with the measuring guide provided. Trace the exact stoma size onto the center white release paper of the skin barrier. The small starter hole should be in the center of your tracing. For skin barriers with pre-cut stoma openings: Select a pouching system with a pre-cut stoma opening the same size as the largest diameter of the stoma. Do not enlarge the pre-cut stoma opening.
- Important: Before cutting, separate the front and back panels to avoid cutting through the pouch. Make sure that the inner surfaces of the pouch are separated and that the pouch contains a small amount of air. Cut along the tracing with curved, shortblade scissors.
- Cut the center hole the same size as the stoma, using the guidelines on the release paper. Do not cut beyond the last line.
- Remove white release paper from the skin barrier. Leave the outer release paper on the tape collar in place.
- Use ActiveLife drainable products if you have a colostomy/ileostomy. For attachment of the tail clip, fold the bottom of the pouch over the tail clip only once. Press firmly on the center of the clip until it snaps securely closed.- A caulking material, such as Stomahesive Paste, can be applied to the back of the skin barrier to further fill gaps between the wafer and the stoma. Allow the paste to set for one minute prior to application to the skin. (Do not spread the paste.)
Application of Skin Barrier/Wafer:
- Place the pouching system gently in position over the stoma. Press the skin barrier against the skin, paying particular attention to the area closest to the stoma.
- During application, maintain gentle pressure on the skin barrier for 30 seconds to improve adhesion.
- After the skin barrier is in place, remove one side of the release paper on the tape collar and smooth onto the skin, working from the center out to the edges.
- Repeat with the other side, making sure the tape is smooth and wrinkle free.
- ActiveLife Durahesiveproducts: Important: The Durahesive wafer will swell around the stoma, resulting in a turtlenecking effect. This is a normal function of the wafer and will not harm the stoma or prevent flow of urine and stool, even if the stoma is completely covered.
ActiveLife drainable products: if you have a colostomy/ileostomy. For attachment of the tail clip, fold the bottom of the pouch over the tail clip only once. Press firmly on the center of the clip until it snaps securely closed.
ActiveLife urostomy pouches: if you have a urostomy. Follow the instructions for skin barriers with pre-cut stoma openings. Make sure the tap is closed before applying the pouch.
ActiveLife closed-end pouches: Filter covers are waterproof and should be used when bathing or swimming to prevent the filter from becoming wet. Remove after use. Use ActiveLife urostomy pouches if you have a urostomy. Follow the instructions for skin barriers with pre-cut stoma openings. Make sure the tap is closed before applying the pouch.
Removal of Skin Barrier/Wafer:
Gently pull the skin barrier down, away from the skin, while supporting the adjacent skin with your other hand.
ActiveLife stoma caps: Change as needed