3M Coban Two Layer Compression Bandage Features
- Stays in place
- Provides consistent compression
- Enables a more normal lifestyle
- Easy to use
Why choose Coban 2-Layer Compression Bandage?
- Provides sustained therapeutic compression for up to 7 days
- Clinically proven to significantly reduce slippage, to encourage longer wear
- The compression layer is designed to be applied at full stretch, reducing application variability
- The thin, lightweight, breathable sleeve allows patients to wear their own shoes, so they can return to their regular daily activities
- Application is fast, and easy to teach and learn
- Not made with natural rubber latex
What to buy with 3M Coban Compression Bandage System
What is Coban 2 Layer Compression System?
Coban 2 Layer Compression System consists of 2 layers that, when applied to your leg, adhere together into one comfortable layer. The thin system allows you to wear most normal shoes so you can participate in your normal daily activities. Normal walking and ankle movements help your muscles pump the blood from the veins back to your heart.
- The first layer has a soft, comfortable foam surface attached to an outer cohesive (slightly sticky) layer. The foam side is applied against your skin and provides comfort where it is needed. The foam will also cling to your skin, which helps prevent the wrap from slipping.
- The second layer bonds to the first layer and provides the compression that is necessary to reduce your edema.
- The two layers are lightweight and breathable, which helps keep your skin comfortable.
- This compression system may be used with the wound dressing that has been recommended by your wound care specialist.
How to apply 3M Coban 2 Layer Comfort Foam Layer?
With the foot in a dorsiflexed position, start the application with a circular winding at the base of the toes, beginning at the fifth metatarsal head
The second circular winding should come across the top of the foot so that the middle of the bandage width approximately covers the articulating aspect of the ankle joint
The next winding runs over the back of the heel. The posterior plantar surface of the foot is not completely covered
Note that there may be a small fold of comfort layer material in the Achilles area. Guide this fold off the Achilles and lay it into the adjacent convex area. This fold will lay down smoothly without causing pain or discomfort when covered by the compression layer
Proceed up the leg, to just below the fibular head, or the back of the knee with minimal overlap, using just enough tension to conform to the shape of the leg
Cut off excess material
Apply light pressure to the comfort layer with your hands. This helps to mold the bandage to the patient. The end of the comfort foam layer may be secured with tape
How to apply Coban 2 Layer Compression Layer?
- Apply at full stretch. Hold the roll close to the foot and limb throughout the application for controlled, even compression. With the foot in a dorsiflexed position, start the application with a circular winding at the base of the toes, beginning at the fifth metatarsal head.
- The second circular winding should come across the top of the foot and around the back of the heel.
- Using the “figure of eight” technique, bring the roll back over the top of the foot, across the bottom of the foot and back up to come around the back of the heel. Complete two or three figures of eight around the ankle, ensuring that the entire heel is covered.
- Proceed up the leg with 50% overlap to cover the entire inner comfort layer. Maintain consistent stretch throughout the process.
- End the wrap at the fibular head, or just below the back of the knee, and even with the top edge of the comfort layer. Cut off any excess material.
- Gently press and conform the entire surface of the application. This will ensure that the two layers will bond firmly together, which helps reduce slippage. If you detect any gaps in the compression layer, you may apply additional compression layer material at full stretch.
How to remove 3M Coban 2 Layer?
The Coban 2 Layer Compression System may be removed with bandage scissors or by unwrapping
How long can I wear the Coban 2 Layer Compression System?
- When you first begin compression treatment, it is common to experience arapid reduction in the swelling of your leg. Your compression system shouldbe changed if it has loosened from your skin, slid down your leg and/or if it isuncomfortable.
- Coban 2 Layer Compression System may be worn up to 7 days.
- If you experience discoloration, pain, numbness, tingling or other changesin sensation and swelling, remove the Coban 2 Layer Compression Systempromptly and contact your health care provider.