Why choose Atos Medical TheraBite Jaw Motion System?
- Anatomically correct - A unique feature of TheraBite Jaw Motion is its ability to follow the natural curved motion of the jaw. The patented curved track of the TheraBite Jaw System guides the mandible along an anatomically correct pathway whilst stretching and strengthening the surrounding musculature
- Patient controlled - When using the TheraBite system, the patient is in complete control. Speed and opening range can be directly adjusted by the patient, using manual force, or the Fine Adjustment Knob. It helps to reduce anxiety levels and improve compliance.
- Portable - TheraBite Jaw Motion is lightweight and durable. It can be stored in the Carrying Bag provided for patients to continue their rehabilitation program wherever they go.
- Load-bearing comfort - The mouthpieces attached to the Jaw Mobilizer are designed in such a way that the load-bearing forces of stretching spread across the teeth. Together with the Bite Pads, they promote a comfortable and even stretch while protecting the teeth of the patient.
- Effective - Passive motion and stretching exercises with the TheraBite Jaw Motion are clinically proven to be an effective form of jaw therapy. It has been successfully used by thousands of patients suffering from more than 30 different conditions, ranging from post-radiation trismus to orofacial pain.
What does TheraBite Jaw Motion System include?
- (1) Jaw mobilizer
- (4) Bite pads
- (1) Hand-aid
- (30) Range of motion scale
- (1) Carrying bag
- (1) Instructions for use
- (1) Patient progress log
Key Benefits of Atos Medical TheraBite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System
- Maximizes jaw range-of-motion
- Prevents stiffness and scar tissue
- Nourishes joint tissues
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation
- Speeds up recovery
- Improves jaw function
- Develops jaw muscle strength
- Proven to be significantly less costly than the other alternatives as there is no need to fabricate the castings of the teeth of an individual
- As the device is used at home by patients, there is less need for clinical intervention
- Since it is hand-operated, it avoids the cost and complexity of continuous passive motion (CPM) devices
- Enables home rehabilitation, which is essential to realize the full beneficial effects of motion
- Early detection and intervention with TheraBite Jaw Motion can help patients counter this debilitating condition and prevent costly complications which may compromise their quality of life and health
When to use TheraBite System?
- Disuse Atrophy
- Joint Replacement
- Facial Muscle Disorders
- Radiation Therapy
- Reconstructive Surgery
What to buy with Atos TheraBite Jaw Motion System
Treatment Objectives of TheraBite Jaw Motion
- Increases Range of Motion of Jaw -
- Stretches Connective Tissue: Fibrous scar tissue causes tightening of muscles and joints and requires stretching to re-align the collagen fibers within. Therabite Jaw Motion provides passive repetitive stretching to lengthen and reform these fibers in an anatomically correct fashion.
- Strengthens Weakened Muscles: Muscles which have suffered from disuse atrophy require strengthening across the full range of motion. TheraBite Jaw Motion helps to increase muscle mass and endurance using a passive range of motion exercises.
- Mobilizes Joints: Joints which have been immobilized can undergo degenerative changes in a matter of days. TheraBite system can safely mobilize the temporomandibular joint across its full range of motion via passive motion.
- Pain Reduction -
- Reduces Joint Inflammation: Immobilized joints lead to thickening of the synovial fluid and thinning of cartilage. This stiffening of the joints ultimately leads to pain and inflammation. Exercising with the TheraBite system activates anti-inflammatory agents that promote joint lubrication and reduce inflammation and pain.
- Reduces Muscle Pain: Muscle pain (myofascial pain) is mostly caused by inflammation which creates abnormal pressure on nerves, muscles, and bones. This inflammation process can be corrected by passive motion exercises. Rehabilitation with TheraBite Jaw Motion has been proven to reduce joint and muscle pain in as little as two weeks of therapy.
- Increase Mouth Opening (maximal incisal opening or MIO)
TheraBite Treatment Cycle:
We describe this as TheraBite Treatment Cycle - reversing the Vicious Cycle of Trismus.
TheraBite Treatment Cycle
Vicious Cycle of Trismus
Components of Atos Medical TheraBite:
- Range Setting Arm: Range Setting Arm position can be adjusted between 25-45 mm and helps to determine maximum opening appropriate to each stage of rehabilitation.
- Bite Pads: The Bite Pads are self-adhesive and spread the force across the teeth. They can be trimmed or stacked for customized protection. The Bite Pads come in adult and pediatric versions.
- Range of Motion Scales: The disposable Range of Motion Scales allow the patient and clinician to make jaw opening measurements and monitor progress.
- Carrying Bag: The durable nylon Carrying Bag keeps the TheraBite Jaw system and accessories together.
- Patient Progress Log: The daily and monthly Patient Progress Log enables the user and treating clinician to monitor progress.
- Fine Adjustment Knob: The Fine Adjustment Knob is used to regulate opening speed and distance if needed.
- Hand-Aid: The Hand-Aid assists the patient to maintain a constant opening during stretching or strengthening programs
TheraBite User Manual
Contraindications: Mandible or Maxilla bone fracture (upper and lower jaw); and other bone weaknesses, bone infections, osteomyelitis, and osteocradionecrosis of the jaw.
Warning: If a sharp pain is experienced while using the device, stop using it immediately. If the pain persists or recurs, contact the doctor.
- The 3 Finger Test: A quick and easy way to identify a possible case of Trismus is to place three fingers, stacked, between upper and lower teeth, or dentures. If the mouth can open wide enough to accommodate them comfortably, then Trismus is unlikely to be a problem. If not, this may indicate Trismus or its development that should be further investigated by a clinician.
- Range of Motion Scales: The result of the 3 Finger Test can be easily confirmed by measuring Maximal Incisal Opening (MIO) with the use of the TheraBite range of motion scale. This simple scale is placed between the central incisors, enabling the mouth opening to be officially measured. Anything below the mid 30 range (mm) may indicate Trismus. Once confirmed by a clinician, a treatment pathway can be tailored to individual needs.
Trismus can affect people of all ages. The condition is attributed to muscle fibrosis, joint damage or scarring, which in turn may be caused by the following:
- Head and neck radiation therapy
- Temperomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction
- Systemic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or scleroderma
- Direct trauma
- Indirect trauma such as whiplash
- Clenching and grinding of the teeth
- Stress-induced disorders
Trismus can cause difficulty in:
TheraBite Jaw Motion Treatment
Prior to using the Therabite system, each patient should consult a clinician, who will prescribe an individualized program of exercise tailored to the unique needs and abilities of the patient. A commonly used treatment program is 7-7-7: 7 stretches performed 7 times per day, each stretch held for 7 seconds. In total, this is an investment of fewer than ten minutes a day. Individuals who suffer from muscle and/or joint pain may benefit from longer stretch exercises. An example of a treatment program with longer stretches is 5-5-30: 5 stretches performed 5 times per day or more, each stretch held for 30 seconds. Regular monitoring, review, and evaluation by a properly trained clinician are essential for all treatment programs. Depending on the patient's condition and the judgment of clinician, the type of program required may be modified over time. Jaw rehabilitation exercise is effective when it takes place every day on a continual basis.
Expected Treatment outcomes
The average sustainable gain in jaw opening is around 1–1.5 mm per week. A typical patient will gain from 1-4 mm of jaw opening ability in the first session; however, this gain is likely to be lost within the next few hours. Only by continuing to stretch and mobilize the jaw for several sessions per day can any lasting benefit be achieved. Increased pain during the exercises should be avoided; as it can result in muscle guarding that may impair the effectiveness of the therapy and reduce compliance. Thus, to achieve 10 mm of sustainable gain, a patient may need to exercise for six to ten weeks. The number of daily exercise sessions with the TheraBite Jaw Motion typically decreases over time. Ultimately, many patients are usually able to maintain the gain they have achieved by using the device just once or twice a day.
7 seconds followed by a 7 second pause 7 stretches 7 times per day
How to clean TheraBite Device?
- Use water and dish soap to clean the TheraBite Jaw Mobilizer and Hand-Aid. Rinse well, shake off excess water, and let dry.
- After cleaning, examine the Bite Pads and replace them if necessary.
- Note: The Mouthpieces are made of material that tends to retain moisture. Therefore make sure that the Mouthpieces are completely dry before replacing the Bite Pads and also before use.
- Do not soak the TheraBite Jaw Mobilizer in any liquid or attempt to wash it in a dish washer.
- Failure to follow the above may change the product properties and result in malfunction.
TheraBite Jaw Motion Reviews