- Application Technique:
- Place Foley catheter into retainer. Directional arrow should point towards catheter tip, and the balloon inflation arm should be next to the clamp hinge.
- Close lid by placing your fingers under the pad and pressing the grip markers at the end of the clamp with your thumb, being careful to avoid pinching the catheter.
- Identify proper securement site by gently laying the device straight on the front of the thigh, then back up one inch towards the insertion site. Make sure leg is fully extended. Gently place the device off to the side, away from the selected securement site.
- Cleanse and degrease securement site with alcohol, or per hospital policy and procedure. Let skin dry. Be sure to clean area larger than securement site.Ã‚Â
- Apply skin protectant using both pads, in direction of hair growth, to area larger than securement site. Allow to dry completely (10 to 15 seconds).
- Using permanent marker, write initials and date of application on device anchor pad.
- Note: Always secure catheter into the StatLock Stabilization Device retainer before applying adhesive pad on skin.
Place and Peel
- Align the device over securement site leaving one inch of catheter slack between insertion site and the device retainer. Make sure leg is fully extended.
- While holding the retainer to keep the pad in place, peel away paper backing, one side at a time, and place tension-free on skin.
- Daily Maintenance:
- The device should be assessed daily and changed when clinically indicated, at least every seven days.
- If pad becomes soiled, wash with soap or water, saline or hydrogen peroxide. Do not use alcohol or prepackaged bathing systems, which could lead to early lifting.
- If showering or bathing, cover with plastic wrap or waterproof dressing.
- Conduct skin assessment prior to application and repeat daily per facility protocol.
- Use clinical judgment on the removal of the device if the patient experiences any fluid shifts that may interfere with skin integrity.
- Removal Technique:
- Open retainer by pressing release button with thumb, then gently lift to open
- Remove Foley catheter.
- Wipe the edge of the pad using at least 5 to 6 alcohol pads until a corner lifts
- Then continue to stroke undersurface of pad in a back-and-forth motion by squeezing the alcohol out to dissolve the adhesive pad away from the skin